Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Not All Men

So, the theme of "not all men" has come around to me. Yes, I have been one to utter such things, so I'll just admit it up front and we can all be done with it. When certain phrases are said, my kneejerk reaction is to say, "but not all men." I want to separate myself from that crowd.

The funny thing about "not all men" is that if a complaint is changed to "dicks", then something strange happens in my head. I'm no longer defense. In fact, I'm a bit  humbled. "Yeah," I say, "dicks are like that. And you know what else? I've been that dick, and I'm sorry for being that dick." Because, you know, most men know who butter their bread, even if they are teenagers.

I may not be a big dick, but there sometimes go I, and I do think that there are few men out there who've never been a dick at all. If nothing else, teenager = dick. We've all been teenagers.

By the way, this is not to excuse such behavior or to say "boys will be boys." That' more to say, teenagers = dicks, so don't hold back, beat them down with sticks and put the fear of God in them. As far as I am concerned, the behavior front is part of a continuing skirmish that just never going to end because life is always producing more dicks.