Friday, January 30, 2015

Final Fantasy III (Review)

I never expected to play Final Fantasy III. I had relegated it to history as I never intended to track down the game, nor did I ever intend to own a console again that would play that series. I had once owned a PS2, and on it I had played Final Fantasy X and X-2. That would be it. There would be no more. Then the tablet revoltion happened, and a very intelligent Square Enix remastered their Final Fantasy series, putting out the series for Android. As FF3 was only $5, a bargain in my book, I decided to buy and play.

I found FF3 a fairly charming story of four youths, four Warriors of Light, out to save their weird little corner of their polygon world. How do we know this? A sentient crystal told us so. The silly thing is that I never realized, until right now, that I had gotten my question from a sentient crystal. Perhaps it had some sort of being in it? Anyhow, once the crystal told me that I had a Mission-From-God to Save-the-Orphanage, it was time to hit the road and get the band together.

The band? A group of four young people from all walks of life, each given their own assigned color. Where have we seen that before?

So by now, you should realize that there's nothing original in this story. Most of the adventure revolves around grabbing something from some dungeon and then putting it into another dungeon, and then a boss fight happens. After the boss fight, something big may or may not happen that allows you to go out and find more dungeons for more boss fights. You can pretend that you saved the world after any boss fight that you want to because the story will vary very little.  Yet, that's not a knock on the game. As I said, the game is charming. It contains no cynicism or betrayal. In that way, it may be an early entrant into the New Sincerity movement. Or would it be late? I always misremember when that movement started.

As for hitting the road, you hit the road in style, receiving a series of ever-better and ever-cooler ships to wisk you about the world, sometimes above it, and sometimes below it. There never seems to be a lack of new ships.

My biggest mechanical complaint was for the final battle. You had to fight through multiple dungeons, beat multiple bosses, then take out the main biggest-baddest-boss, all without saving. That last battle was an all-or-nothing marathon. I guess that was to make sure that you showed your true grit, but for me, that was an annoying way to lose several hours of gameplay with one bad battle.

My smaller mechanical complaint was occasional need for grinding. I would run into absolutely brutal boss fights, barely eeking my way through. I eventually figured out that I wasn't grinding at all, and that my characters were completing dungeons seriously under-leveled. In a way, I guess that I showed what a bad-assed RPG player that I was, but that wasn't my intention. What I really wanted was some brain candy and some auto-fighting.

Early on, I did lose the plot a few times, wandering about the world like a lost fool, which turned out to be helpful as that was grinding, except not grinding because I did have some fun exploring.

The 3D part drained my Kindle's battery like nobody's business. All 3D games suck down power on my Kindle.

Would I have paid $50 for this game? I don't think so. But at $5 for my Kindle, I think that it worked out well enough.