Monday, February 2, 2015

Fortuna Magus (Review)

Fortuna Magus is a Japanese RPG released by Kemko for Android and Kindle Fire. I presume that Kemko translated an existing game.

The game itself contains all required JRPG elements, such as orphans (three, just to be sure), betrayals, cynicism, and endless dungeon wandering quests. The mechanics included spells, upgrading weapons, boss battles, special attacks, team attacks, and a big bag of one-shot items.

Overall, I found the game occupying, but not engaging. All the characters pretty much said and did what you would expected of them, no more, no less. At time I completely forgot why I was in a dungeon, but that didn't matter at all. I found the game dull enough that I can't even find enough humor to tear into it.

The main twist of Fortuna Magus is its multiple endings. If you get to one ending, the game tells you that there are additional endings. By the time that I reached ending #1, I didn't care that there were more endings. Playing this phoned-in game once was enough for me.

One play through took me 10 hours. I can't recommend the game, so if you're feeling the JRPG itch, go buy Symphony of the Origin instead.