Thursday, April 2, 2015

Grinsia (Kemko RPG Review)

If you ever wanted more of the same in a JRPG, then Grinsia is the game for you. There is nothing new under the sun, and this game embraces that theology with a passion unmatched since Jesus invented the Stations of the Cross. Four characters, two substitute party members, and a goddess go on an epic journey to loot six lost artifacts from six improbable dungeons, opposed only by the might of an entire empire. If that weren't enough, there's a few extra side dungeons as well. The girls characters all had their required busts bursting out, and the boys all had their gelled hair.

If you play JRPGs, then you know the routine. You'll start this game and settle into the routine pretty fast. Hack, slash, loot, and a cut scene for every dungeon.

There were a few fights that I found overly difficult. By overly difficult, I mean that the bosses got MORE dangerous as the fight went on, rather than less dangerous. As one of those was the final boss, I said "screw it", because I really didn't need the agony of fighting that last boss to unlock the final cut scene where everything was set to rights.

As games go, this one will amuse you as you expect. I'm not sure that it amused me $7.99 worth of amusement. I'd rather pay $3.99 for Kemko games. I don't expect much at that price point and Kemko usually meets my low expectations. I need some brain candy for when bedtime rolls around.

I did enjoy the teleportation unlocking mechanism in the game. That made going back and forth way easier. So instead of a healing point before a boss fight, you hit a teleporter. It served the same function plus added the utility of a teleporter. If I didn't have enough levels to tackle a boss, I could rest up, come back, and grind the dungeon for a bit.

When I got tired of the game, I could play the in-game game of target shooting. If successful, you would win fabulous prizes. The game came across as rather dorky, but I'm fond of dorkness, so it was cool in my book. Sometimes you just have to fire arrows as passing icons.

I would term the encounter frequency of this game as "oppressive." Random encounters are fun, but this game often took random encounters to absurd frequencies. At least they had a spell which mitigated such encounters from oppressive to merely a bit much. The fights themselves felt rather repetitive as the fights were rather repetitive.

The dialog was dull but informative, and I found that the translation rather solid, always resembling native speaking English.

Most notable about the game were the things that it lacked. It had no flying ships, but don't worry, the game gives you a magical flying bird near the finale. There was no abstract space area for the final dungeon, instead sending you down into the bowels of the earth. Likewise, there were no romances.

Overall, I think that I spent about 15 hours on the game, which is more than a usual Kemko.